Tuesday 9 May 2023

Buying And Selling At The Carboot Sale.

 We packed the van on Friday night and got up at 5 on Saturday morning.  We drove through heavy showers and set up about half seven.

We had two more heavy showers.  Business was slow at first and I wasn't very optimistic of selling much.  But eventually the world and his wife began to walk round and we started selling our eclectic contents.  

I sold over thirty plants at only 2 Euros each.  One lady bought several and put them on her stall and upped the price to six Euros.  I even ending up buying a plant for five Euros from her.  Not one of mine though. Perhaps I should put my plant prices up?  No I believe anyone should be able to afford my plants in their gardens.

We had a good day and took a few hundred Euros and I bought some nice stuff:





Two signed prints by Lancashire artist A Heaton Cooper.  They will live in the Conservatory.  See how I managed to photo my feet.


2 Royal Doulton cups and saucers 



Two sets of porcelain  thimbles. There is even a Portuguese one and Dougall from The Magic Roundabout. 
Big Ben teapot.



Banter England vegetables dish and Waverley jug.  They look old.

It was a good day both buying and selling and worth getting up very early.   

Oh by the way I do sell some of the stuff I collect and we often end up replacing a lot of different stuff.

Please click on the photos to really give them justice.


 


14 comments:

  1. That was a very successful market. A bit cheeky of your market lady though to resell your plants at that price. Did she sell them all? I really like the cups and saucers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cups and saucers are very nice Linda. She was a nice lady plant seller and we shared a common interest talking about our plants and how we propagate them. Business is business. I have hundreds if not over a thousand plants in pots ready to sell to any one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you were happy with the price you got for them then that's all that matters.
    It was cheeky of her though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like people watching JayCee. Lots of carbooters buy from othe booters and sell for a profit. I prefer buying stuff than actually selling and my profits often end up paying for new treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a successful day but what a bloody cheek that woman had selling your plants at inflated prices! I guess that's capitalism in miniature for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a good day YP and we met a lot of really amiablepeople. Have a look in garden centres if you want to see garden capitalism prices. It's like some of us but our food in Lidl whilst others buy theirs in Marks and Spencers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your tablecloth VERY much. The royal doulton cup and saucer sets are very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks River. It's Irish and made of washable plastic. Glad you like the cups and saucers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a small collection of thimbles once - they are very good dust collectors!
    There's always been buying and reselling - I think it depends on how often you want to go and sell - once a year was enough for me (now even that is too much!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue. Thimbles are collectible like gold charms are especially for the American tourist market They can be taken home in yourchandbag on the plane.

    I'm not a fan of selling myself. But being a plantaholic. I am always propagating new shrubs and perennials and try to shift some to pay for the diesel and finance new purchases. A lot of the big carboots are over fifty miles from here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice prints, and tablecloth! Sounds like a good day for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them the veg artist. They remind me of the mountains we look at across from the kitchen and Conservatory windows. I think they are Swiss scenes. I believe he lived there and in Coniston.

      Delete
  12. You did very well. Good for you. I would have been hard pressed to be as good natured as you were about the plants bought and resold by the woman seller. I was there just as carboots started and the weather was not cooperative, but I would love to go to one when the carboot season was in full swing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We did well Debby - thanks! There's some massive carboot sales in England in the Summer. If you get a nice day there will be over 500 sellers and thousands of punters wish cash.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...