Tuesday 23 May 2023

Sentimental Flowers.

 Two plants are in flower at the moment and I feel sentiment towards them:

One of my Grandmother's Arum Lilies.  She died in 1971 or 2 but her favourite flowers still bloom every Spring time. 

They are originally from China and like the wet Irish climate.  Lilies are often worn and remembered for the Easter Rising.  



This purple rose was gifted to us by my late father before he passed away in 2012.  Thankfully I have successfully managed to propagate another rose from this plant.

I also feel sentimental about some vegetables because I use to grow beetroots for my mother and parsnips for my dad.

Do you have any 
plants that you are sentimental about?

Here's Flowers by Miley Cyrus.  I love this song and I am always playing it when I am working in the polytunnel:




10 comments:

  1. Yes. Mint. I will never forget the smell of freshly mown mint in a hayfield. My dad was on a tractor. I worked nights and was waiting for the wagon to come back. I dozed off, smelling mint and listening to the tractor pulling the bailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Mint memories Debby. I remember the aroma of my Grandfather's pipe tobacco. Sometimes when I am in the garden I get a waft of the tobacco. No jest.

      Delete
  2. It's nice that some plants/flowers have special associations for you Dave. In my garden there are several plants that connect me to Important people - including my mother. After all, we have lived here for 34 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the phrase association YP. I have lived here over 20 years and it's nice still to have a connection with relatives flowers and plants. They have passed on to perfect peace but we can still enjoy their flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think of my Dad when I look at our Holly tree. His ashes were scattered beneath a Holly tree in the Garden of Remembrance back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to have a place or plant or tree to remember your loved ones JayCee. My mother was always sad when she saw cherry tree blossom because they were in flower when her brother died. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll pass on the Miley Cyrus for now, tomorrow is soon enough for her. I do like roses but the purple ones aren't my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all roses River. I love Miley. She rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roses for my grandmother, Tagetes for my Mum, and a love of gardening generally for my Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so nice Tigger. My Irish Grandfather was a great grower and even sold cabbages plants in Bantry many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...