Thursday 4 May 2023

Two Boxes Of Coronation Mugs And Royalty Plates.

My dear old mum was a Labour voter and she also liked the Royal family?🤔

Which member of the Royal family played in a cup final at Wembley?  Joe Royle!

The old ones are the best.

Any road when my parents passed on I ended up with two boxes of Coronation mugs and  Royal wedding plates.  One is Queen Victoria and there's some from 1937, 1953, 1981 and when Kate and William got married:


I put the cardboard boxes in an outhouse and left them there to collect dust and last weekend I brought them in the house and we wrapped them after giving them a wash.  I packed them again in new boxes.

I honestly don't know what to do with the cups?  Someone suggested setting up an Ebay account but I think the postage would put folk off and I don't think they will sell at carboot sales over here.

I'm not a Royalist well except for Lady Di.  So I will probably put them in the attic and leave them there for someone to inherit like I did?  What would you do with two boxes of the stuff?  Some of them are worth at least 28 Pounds each.


10 comments:

  1. I took a Jubilee mug from 1977 to umpteen car boot sales and never sold it - it's either still in the back of the cupboard or I took it to a charity shop - can't remember - will need to look. Shows how uninterested I am in the whole royal thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There worth money Sue. But I don't who would buy any. Can't believe they are spending 150 million on security. It would have been better spent giving everyone a minimum wage rise up to 13 Pounds an hour or maybe housing the homeless?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the only helpful advice I can give is that packing it away for the next generation to find seems like the thing to do. Your boys will be going through this saying things like "Dad was avowedly antiroyalist. What do you think he was doing saving all this stuff?" As time passes, it seems like the stuff will become rarer. China gets broken, or someone sees it as worthless and tosses it, or whatever. The rarer things are, the more prized that seem to become. These things might be worth more to your children (or grandchildren) than they are to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Royalty cups in antique shops over here Debby. Perhaps I should try them? Thanks for the advice.

      Delete
  4. I really can't offer any suggestions about what to do with them. I would most likely use them as plant pot holders if I had them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks JayCee. They worth a couple of hundred Pounds at least so I'm reluctant to sell them for very little money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you ever pay another visit to England via car and ferry, I suggest that you box up that pottery and bring it with you to donate to a charity shop of your choice - or perhaps one that you believe would have met with your mother's approval.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea YP. Victoria Wood once said they would only be a Revolution if they banned car boot sales. One thing refreshing about Ireland is you don't have social classes. My old Queen my mother is the only Royalty I adored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should have at least one try with a carboot sale, you might be pleasantly surprised at the interest, or you will know for sure that nobody wants them. Just don't price them too highly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the advice River. I see they are valuable on Ebay but postage and Brexit makes them very expensive to sell to England.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...