Sunday 14 May 2023

Thrift Flower.


 If you go to the seaside at the moment you will see Thrift in flower.

The cushion like plants are salt tolerant and great for seaside gardens and rockeries.

Like a lot of wild flowers it's got medicinal uses   It was boiled in milk and used to treat tuberculosis in the Orkneys.  It's also supposed to be go for treating obesity and urinary infections.

The Thrift was seen on the 1937 twelve sided threepenny bit when money was worth something.  

It's a nice plant and well worth keeping some in a pot in the patio or in the rockery.

16 comments:

  1. I am not very thrifty and we are a long way from the sea. Until now, I did not know that that was thrift on those chunky threepenny bits so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the countryside next to the sea YP. It's a remarkable little plant like the remarkable threepenny bit was.

      Delete
  2. I remember the threepenny..or thrupenny as some called it, bit.
    A pretty flower

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the A. Heaton Cooper paintings, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anonymous. They look good in the Conservatory and are similar to the Caha mountain range across the bay from us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of the thrift plant. How nice to have a bit of colour by the sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's the native pink and cultivated garden red Thrift Linda.

      Delete
  6. I've always known this as sea pinks. Lots of it on the coast around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think your coast is very similar to ours the veg artist.

      Delete
  7. "when money was worth something" will we ever see those days again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite River. How did our money become so worthless?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother used to grow Thrift in the dry gardens round our house at Morven NZ - a few 100 yards from the sea. Tough old plant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A tough old seaside plant like Flax or Phormiums Tigger.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...