Wednesday 17 May 2023

Cape Daisies.

I think my love of Osteospermums or Cape Daisies began many moons ago when I lived in Cheshire.

I met a plantaholic of a Osteospermum grower at a car boot sale.  Think it was the Countess of Chester Sunday carboot sale which has raised over a million Pounds by hosting carboots on it's hospital carpark on a Sunday?

The man only grey Oste's  and he gave us his address and we use to buy lots of them off him.  Then one day I told him we wouldn't be buying anymore because we were emigrating to Ireland. He smiled and said: "Is it really emigrating, moving to Ireland?"

I digress.  The Osteospermums originate in Cape Town in South πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦.  I adore them and I have been making new plants for the last twenty five years.

Back in 2010 around the time I started writing this blog we were snowed in for two weeks. A once in fifty years experience apparently. We lost a lot of the the Osteospermums.  

Fortunately 3 plants survived and I made lots of new plants from the ones that came on the ferry way back in 2001 in a wheelie bin:


A cottage garden I planted for a friend a couple of years ago.  All the plants were propagated and planted by yours truly.  Anyone want to give me a book deal?  I'm not expensive.

One of my pals in a patio.



13 comments:

  1. You have the best of green thumbs. What stories your plants have. Time to write Your book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to write a book about growing perennials in West Cork Linda. You should write your Poros cook book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I would like to give you a book deal. Make a handwritten version of "The Yellow Pages" for ten quid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a local paper there? You might try pitching a gardening column to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have a book in my head and on this blog Debby.

      Delete
    2. Some people don't understand that gardening doesn't have to be an expensive undertaking. You'd do a great service

      Delete
    3. Thanks Debby. Gardening need not be expensive or even have a garden. It's the interest and passion and love of plants that makes you a gardener.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delete that last - Great back story. The cape daisies we grew on the balcony in Pireaus obviously cross pollinated because the ones we grew from the seed had all sorts of weird and wonderful colour patterning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do cross pollinate Tigger. I love how the flowers go to sleep at night.

      Delete
  7. They're pretty and we have some here in the grounds, just a few seconds walk away from my front door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favourites River and easy to make cuttings from.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...