Sunday 7 May 2023

What's In A Plants Name?

My new plant sitting on our dead washing machine.


 I bought this Sweet William perennial plant at a carboot sale on Saturday for five Euros.

I have had the plants before but it must of disappeared or rotted in one of our wet Irish winters.

We once visited the Battle of Culloden site twenty five years ago.    The tour guide told us that  the Dianthus Barbara's is said to honour Prince William,  Duke of Cumberland's victory at the Battle of Culloden.

I got out my trusty old gardening bread knife in the rain this morning and made 3 plants from the one plant.

There was a lady at the carboot with a big carrier bag which said in large letters"  "I'm Bagging a Bargain!"

I got myself a bargain by making 3 plants out of one!  Google Sweet Williams if you don't know what it's flowers are like.  I have potted mine up and placed them on the newly recycled patio.

I will post photos soon.

12 comments:

  1. I hope you get lots of those beautiful flowers from your plants. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JayCee. At least we don't need to water them with all the nitrogen loaded rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet William....also known as Stinking Billy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes that's right GZ. Have you been to Culloden? A strange place with a eerie atmosphere. We also visited Dalwhinnie Distillery. Beautiful mzlt whisky with a smokey taste but not fiery and matured in old sherry barrels to give you a caramel taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, been to Culloden fifty years ago. The feeling doesn't change

      Delete
    2. I am great believer in Pyschometry GZ. Some people pick up on things like you and we did. Like you say, the feeling doesn't change!

      Delete
  5. Dianthus Barbatus, aka Sweet William. I grew some once, long ago when I lived in Sydney, they did well there in pots on the veranda. i haven't had any since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes River. A lovely plant. You can grow them from seed. I must start buy perennials seeds. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was terribly sweet of Sweet William to butcher the Scots at Culloden and sent them homeward tae think again. No wonder that red is the most predominant colour in Sweet William blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suppose the red symbolizes blood or victory YP? It's easier to say Sweet William than Dianthus Barbara's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did google sweet William. It's beautiful. We do have it here, it's called the Carnation of the Poets

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great name Linda: Carnation of the Poets.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...