Friday 5 May 2023

Bronte Goes To The Seaside On The Irish Riviera.


we live in the countryside next to the sea and we are only a few minutes drive from the nearest beach.  

I use to walk there but the roads are too dangerous and the verges are overgrown along with the hedges.  I don't suppose they will ever reduce the road speeds in rural Ireland.  Eighty Kilometres is ridiculously too fast.  I nearly got knocked down four times last year and I no longer hike or walk along the boreens near us.

The dog 🐕 in the photo is a Golden Retriever puppy who I named Bronte.  I christened her Bronte before she was born when we sat at a bar on a Algarve beach last October.  It was 28 degrees and we were spending 7 days in Portugal 🇵🇹 paradise.

The weather has been good this week before the Monsoon season recommenced on Thursday.

I named Bronte after the famous literary family from Haworth in West Yorkshire.  A place I visited many times.  

Wuthering Heights and Kate Bush are forever in my heart and Rock music  jukebox. 

Their father Patrick came from Northern Ireland and he changed his surname from Brunty to Bronte.  Probably after the Greek God Bronte which means "Thunder".

Our Rosie gave birth to five beautiful Golden Retriever puppies in November.  We decided to keep one of her daughters and now Bronte sleeps on our bed every night.

We took her to Muckross House last week and now she frequently goes to the seaside.  She's having the life of Riley or Bronte even!




 

10 comments:

  1. Brontë is a great name for a dog and your Brontë has found a good family to live with in a good location - even though some folk speed through the area like racing drivers. Can't you throw out one of those stingers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great name for a dog YP. It annoys me when you can't walk along the road anymore. There should be narrow lanes for walkers and cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up walking along our lane at the old house for the same reason. As I was deaf I just didn't hear them coming up behind me. I often ended up falling into the ditch with the backdraft.
    Bronte looks very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very sad JayCee. I have noticed that electric cars are silent and they come from nowhere without sensor warning. I walked six miles up on the hills today above the bays. Didn't see a soul except for some cattle. Wish we had a Greenway like the one I wrote about in Limerick and Kerry. You meet lots of walkers, joggers and cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We learned loads of stuff in your post today, but it is a great shame if you cannot walk safely on the byways of your locale. They reduced speeds on rural roads on Hayling Island recently (last decade or so) much to the annoyance of many but it is amazing how quickly people adjusted to sensible speeds on the rural backroads (and acknoweldged they are sensible and support the change) and the place is much safer for cyclists and walkers and horse riders and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tigger. Good to read that they reduced speeds on your rural roads. Every week I see poor innocent wild animals dead on the roads and read about pedestrians being knocked down. Especially on unlit country roads. There is very little public transport and there is no taxi rank in our nearest town. Just a few taxis that you ring to book if your lucky. The Greenways that the Irish government have been repurposing have impressed me greatly. They could be improved with public transport and litter bins. I wish Labour and the Green Party combined to make much needed infrastructure for rural people like they have in the towns and cities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, sir, am outraged. Outraged! You had puppies at your house and did not post cute puppies and did not post a PICTURES????? and you're a blogger?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Debby. There's always lots of comings and goings on a smallholding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like golden retrievers, they are good with children and very intelligent.
    That beach looks very cold and hard on the feet. Our Australian beaches have fine, almost white, sand on most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes they have a great temperament River. The bay is part of the Atlantic Ocean and we get the tail ends of any storm from America.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...