Friday 19 April 2024

Growing Parsnips In Big Plant Pots

 

I watched a different YouTube video about growing  parsnips the other day.  

I cut off the bottoms of some small plastic plant pots and  placed them in large planters full of compost or soil even.  I had no potting compost.

I ran the soil through my fingers and removed any stones and filled them up with fine tilthed soil.  These are living in the polytunnel for the time being

Then we sowed fifteen of the chitted parsnips I showed you on my last post.


I filled three large barrels and five big plant pots with fym and top soil outside in the veg plot.   The wife sowed thirty prechitted parsnip seeds and also carrots in the other plant pots.  Then we watered them in.

We will have an awful lot of carrots if they all grow.  Have you sowed your carrots and parsnips  yet?


6 comments:

  1. Another tip is to do that, use a pole to make a hole where you are putting the parsnip and fill that with sand...then add parsnip. Can be done with long carrots as well. Makes sense when you see wild carrots and parsnips by the sea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes GZ scaffolding tubing makes a good dibber for sowing parsnips and 🥕 and leeks. When I had my allotments in England I made a raised bed with 2x2 flags and filled it with river sand and sieved soil. The carrots and parsnips turned into whoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've planted two lots of different carrots in buckets, and my parsnips in the new raised bed, I will do another sowing of carrots, I do love them, only hubby eats parsnips so one lot should be enough, if they grow as I did not know to soak them first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you sowed your carrots and parsnips yet?... Errr - I think you know the answer. But I do love roasted parsnips from the Lidl garden on Sundays. Thick slices on an oven tray then season lightly before brushing with rapeseed oil. No need for par boiling. Remember to turn once. You don't want to blacken them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Young fresh carrots are very nice Marlene. When their sugars haven't turned to starches like tough bi supermarket bought carrots often are. Parsnips, spring cabbage, Autumn King carrots , leeks and Swedes are my winter veggies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your parsnip recipe sounds great YP. Do you buy Organic veg? We buy their 49 Cents veg when there's an hunger gap in the veg garden. Our potatoes and leek soup for our dinner today.

    ReplyDelete

Policeman Catches Young Children In A Pond Print.

 Another old Victorian advert poster print. Apparently it was an American advert for a fishing tackle and it was painted 🎨 by GF Gilman.  Y...