Monday 8 April 2024

Perking Up The Compost.

 Thanks for reading my blog post yesterday and for your comments.   

I have been thinking about how to give my tomato seedlings and other vegetables some much needed additions to their compost to drive them on a little.  

I don't really want to try my liquid " garden tea" on seedlings.  It may be too rich for them just yet? modern shop bought composts are made from crushed bark, coir and perhaps a bit of peat?  I find there are very few plant nutrients in them.  

Saying that Lidl have a lovely John Innes number 3 mix in at the moment.  It contains loam soil and I find it excellent especially for potting up plants   it's  five Euros something but I find the more you pay the better the compost and the cheaper the poorer the compost. 

 I realised that I still had some organic seaweed and chicken pellets that I bought from our local German garden centre and supermarket and beer providers last year.  Do you remember?  

The only thing I don't like about that said supermarket is if they get something new you like they never seem to get it back again.  Like this stuff:

It really is excellent.  That's rich coming from me with a never ending supply of fym and the nearest beach is only five minutes away by vehicle.  Last year we had much success with gathering and collecting seaweed for organic fertilizer.  

It doesn't create a weed problem unlike some animal manures which contain pernicious weeds like docks and nettles.  Just have a look at farmers fields where cow slurry has been spread for example.   Seaweed is also said to contain 50 trace elements which are beneficial to plant life.  

Back to the purpose of this post.  I decided to repot  tomato and globe artichokes seedlings  with a few of these pellets mixed in with the compost.  In the end I just sprinkled a few pellets and mixed them in the compost without disturbing the seedlings.  Then I watered the plants with my watering can.  It will be interesting to see if the seaweed poultry pellets drive my seedlings on.  

Do you add anything organic to your compost to give your seedlings vital plant food?

18 comments:

  1. Is love organic? I give them that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kathy in Wales8 April 2024 at 05:30

    Sounds like you already have what they need seaweed, chicken manure, but only very dilute, oyjrt wise you get big plants and few fruit. Later bananas/skins and ground up eggshell will be good for flowering
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kathy. I have been putting the broken and crushed egg shells near the lettuces along with my beer slugs. I was reading the other day that milk given in small quantities to tomatoes provides calcium and prevents blossom end rot. We have stacks of fym consisting of pig, pony and rabbit manure. Thanks again for the veg feeding tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I scattered chicken poo pellets in my new raised beds as an extra layer of nutrients, along with home made leaf mulch and compost, I am trying to feed the top soil as much as I can to keep it rich and productive. The thought of emptying any slug beer bars makes me feel sick, I can pick off snails but slugs are horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good natural soil additives and plant foods Marlene. Just empty the slug beer bars outside and the birds will have a feast. I have just been topping up my slug pubs with old unwanted cider. It's working wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of slugs I was always of the understanding that hedgehogs eat them. We built a hedgehog diner and restock it daily. The bowls are a empty every morning and we find slugs lurking about (slightly dried up slugs I must admit - as if, possibly, the hedgehogs have sucked their insides out and left the skins behind.) Do you suppose that hedgehogs skin slugs before they eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could be Tigger's Mum. I know they have a hard reputation and give themselves names like Spike. I wish we had hedgehogs and frogs in the veg garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We visited the german supermarket, over an hour away, last week. All it had in the way of plants were a few little pots of flowers. Now and again they have herbs, mint, parsley, dill, packets of seeds and very rarely small bags of compost. Very disappointing, especially after reading of what you can find. They do have tins of octopus though and frozen kalamari. And salted Irish butter!!! I always stock up on that. It's half the price of the other varieties

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tins of octopus? Gosh that's different Linda. We have a very good store near us and West Cork residents are made of native Irish, English, Dutch and German and Polish and other Eastern European countries and Spanish who have moved because of free movement in Europe. So they stock food and drink from a lot of these countries. Unfortunately they don't stock English beer and I have to drink Carlsberg or go to Kerry for my Newcastle Brown Ale. We find a lot of Lidl stores are different and stock different items. There is one really big store in Tralee and it's range of products is large.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P used to put chicken manure pellets on his veg plot at our old place. Now we just have cat poo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm... I wondered if you were ok JayCee after you said you weren't feeling wellIs there near you on the IOM? Send P for a bucket of lion or Elephant poo. Then put it on your garden and any garden invaders look at the size of the big poo and think: "Yoikes Scooby. What creature's done that?" You can buy King Cat Keepoff spray and spray it in different areas of your garden. Vinegar spray is said to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't want to know what I use to perk up compost, but I do it in a secluded part of the garden and it avoids going into the house in dirty shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wee wee? Male urine is said to be very good to add to the compost heap Tasker. Can I ask a silly question? It occured to me the other evening after rereading your blog about your carrot tub. Does it have drainage holes? If not you can soon drill some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the top half of the water butt. I put the lid at the bottom so it drains all around and also through what was originally the hole for the drainpipe in.
      Wife says Bob Flowerdew talking about adding urine to the compost heap heap on Gardeners World but did not demonstrate.

      Delete
  14. I knew you would have thought about drainage Tasker. Flowerdew is a wonderful name for a television gardener. I suppose they could of shown a potty full of cold tea like the pints of Newton and Ridley in the Rovers Return?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the chicken pellets and throw a handful of those onto each of my pots once a year and water it in. I know some people who soak them in water and use the resulting tea to water seedlings or vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chicken pellets tea sounds just the ticket River.

    ReplyDelete

More Carboot Plant Selling And I Bought Two Plants.

  Some of my shrubs and perennials and bric-a-brac and tomato plants and we also took books and pictures and two double glazed windows which...