Friday 5 April 2024

Making A Brew For The Veggies.


 I wanted to make some organic garden "tea" for my 🍅 and other vegetables and perennials.   I have made it before and it doesn't cost anything.

Here's how I made it:

Ingredients: A plastic tub,  straw bale or garden twine, pillow case, stick, water and some fym.  Some strong gardening or welding gloves especially if you're handling nettles!

Method.

Fill an old pillowcase with fym or seaweed, nettles, grass or weeds.  Tie a knot in top of the pillowcase.  Tie a piece of string to it.  Put it in your tub and tie to a stick lay prostrate across the tub.  So your bag of plop is suspended from the top.  Fill with water.   Rainwater or we'll water like our preferably which contains no man-made chemicals like chlorine or flouride that tap water does.

I placed my old soil sieve on the top to prevent any accidents like cats 🐈 or birds 🐦 drowning in the garden 'tea".




Leave it for about a fortnight and get a jug or a old pint glass 🍺 and fill your watering can ten parts water to one part of the brew.  I am sure your plants will love it and you won't  need to buy any tomato food this year.

What do you liquid feed your veggies with?

22 comments:

  1. Good idea..my youngest does that on his allotment with a wheelie bin..and I do have an extra wheelie bin full of rainwater as it happens.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks GZ. Rainwater is full of nitrogen. I ha ve a good supply of homemade fym but it's good to give them a liquid feed top up. Mine's Newcastle Brown Ale when I can get some.😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feed mine veggie burgers with dandelion and burdock to drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben's Shaws? That 1950s pop group that is still going. Barrs Strike Cola was my favourite.

      Delete
    2. We used to have a pop wagon that called by our village every two weeks. It was operated by a company called Laws and of course there was no Coca Cola or Pepsi. My favourite was always "Dandelion and Burdock". The bottles were returnable.

      Delete
    3. Yes we looked forward the pop man's visit every fortnight YP. We buy a crate of mixed minerals.

      Delete
  4. You didn't mention the bad smell generated by nettles fermenting in rainwater....

    ReplyDelete
  5. We keep pigs, ponies and poultry TM and our neighbours are dairy farms. So we often smell country smells. Not forgetting the garden tea smells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tigger's Mum beat me to it. P used to make his nettle tea in a big plastic water butt with a lid on to keep the smell contained. But, on boy, when he lifted that lid....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It good for a nasal spray isn't it JayCee? It's a lot better than nasty granulated fertilizer and it's free. Do you ever make nettle soup? I do.

      Delete
    2. I use nettles to make a version of Greek spinach pie (called hortopita - very yummy)

      Delete
    3. Sounds good TM. Nettles have so many uses.

      Delete
  7. You could drink it yourself if you can't get Newcastle Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've drank worst smelling beer than that Tasker. They use to call Boddingtons Bitter: "Strangeways Slop Outs". I've had some bad homebrew and snake bites too. I knew an homebrew entrepreneur who use to sell homebrew for ten bob a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always laughed when we went passed the brewer by Magor services near Chepstow on the M4...on a big tank was "Boddingtons"....yes, we thought, "cream of Manchester"....

      Delete
    2. That's brilliant GZ. Do you remember the Melanie Sykes Boddingtons adverts? "By heck"... They were brilliant.

      Delete
  9. I have been watching them again on good old YouTube. There are lots of really funny beer adverts on there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I once tried making a brew with worm castings given to me, but it didn't go well and I don't remember now if or how I did something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure the plants would have found it beneficial River.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have lots of comfrey, so giving that a try this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi FID. There's lots of good You Tube videos about Comfrey. I must get some seeds or plants.

    ReplyDelete

More Carboot Plant Selling And I Bought Two Plants.

  Some of my shrubs and perennials and bric-a-brac and tomato plants and we also took books and pictures and two double glazed windows which...