Monday 29 April 2024

A Cheap Tea.

 We harvested some more leeks and some kale and some of my Japanese onions the other day and we bought a tray of  cheap beef mince from you know where?  

I diced and peeled two supermarket potatoes and placed it in a pan with 2 stock cubes and half filled the pan with cold water:

This was obviously taken before our tea was cooked on the kitchen stove.

Half an hour later our mince meat stew was ready to eat.  There was enough to feed a family of four people.

It's good old stodge.  Not particularly appetising but it was full of sustenance and vitamins and our homegrown vegetables.

The meal cost two Euros to make.  It's a meal that my mother made once a week.

Can you make a meal for less than 2 Euros?  

12 comments:

  1. Probably only for two people.
    Most of our day to meals are quite frugal but I do splurge if we have visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We rarely get visitors JayCee. Our friends live overseas. Cottage pie tonight made for 1.99 again plus the cost of cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks just like the food I like. I use sweet potato now, leeks are lovely and often a bit of cabbage. Simple and tasty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very simple Linda to make and feeding four people for only a couple of Euros.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill Wyman said that when he moved to France the one thing he missed from England was Piccalilli. I would say Newcastle Brown Ale and Prog Rock bands. Thanks Tasker.👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can do soup and fresh bread for that, but not very otfen. Do you fry the mince up first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not much of a cook Kev but I can make some basic meals to survive. Soup especially. You don't need to fry the mince. Just only half fill the pan with water. It only takes half an hour to cook.

      Delete
  7. Can you make a meal for less than 2 Euros? Yes Dave - I can do that easily. I just wear my long shop-lifting coat with extra inner pockets sewn in and collect what I need. The resulting meal costs absolutely nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Shoplifters Of The World Unite." The Smiths thought of that one back in the eighties YP.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure how much two euros is in Australian money but we've had plenty of cheap meals in our time. Now that it is just me, meals are even cheaper as I can buy far less and there are plenty of vegeatble soup portions in my freezer. The cat's food costs more than mine does! She gets sick on cheap stuff :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3 28 in Australian Dollars River. I hate to think what our animals food bill is.

    ReplyDelete

Checking The New Potatoes 🥔.

 There's a wonderful lady in Wales called Kathy who comments on my blog and own 3 or four really long polytunnels.  She's always giv...