Thursday 11 April 2024

Porter Sauce Anyone?

 

Four striploin steaks were on offer for 7.99 from our local German garden centre and beer providers and supermarket the other day.

I was also recently gifted some Guinness steak sauce to spread on the steak.  It didn't taste particularly like Guinness.  It reminded me of Branston pickle but I am sure it must have Guinness ingredients? Have you tried it?



Yes we know that Arthur (half a Guinness) Guinness invented the black stuff on a visit to London where he saw Coven market porters drinking a brown beer or Porter like it's known  here in 🇮🇪 Ireland. 

 Some people claim it was brewed first in Wales.  But it got its fame for Guinness or "Liffey Water' brewed at St James's  Gate in Dublin fair City with its 45 Punts a year rent lease for the next 9000 years.  Like a lot of successful breweries it's now owned by Diageo which I believe is Swiss I think?

Continuing with another and topical beer advert and seeing that I live in little ould Ireland.  Remember this from way back in 1995? Twenty nine years ago to be precise.   Where does the time go?



See Tasker I can post about other subjects than gardening.  Back to the usual subject tomorrow.😊



10 comments:

  1. Guinness is good in sauces..and helps make a beautiful dark chocolate cake.
    Brains dark is from Cardiff..but isn't the same as Guinness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guinness is good for you. Guinness is good for stew. It's also good to drink GZ. Bitter never seemed to take off in Ireland. Perhaps because they don't grow hops over here? I think Guinness is roasted Barley. I prefer or preferred Murphy's stout which was brewed here in Cork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to mention Murphy's! Not quite so "heavy"

      Delete
    2. Ys GZ not so heavy and more of a milk chocolate taste. Dutch Brewery Heineken bought the brewery from Murphy's. I can't say I like the Heineken lager taste. I prefer Carlsberg. I must have a go at home brewing again. Something I have never been successful at. I don't like a lot of the craft beers brewed over here either.

      Delete
  3. Ads were so much fun, these days I often watch and wonder what are the selling. I've never tasted Guinness, there I've said it out loud, are you still talking to me......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried Guinness once but didn't enjoy it. It's a Man's drink ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some very clever ad makers and writers Marlene. Nigella makes a wonderful Guinness cake. We put in stews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guinness and blackcurrant perhaps JayCee? I see lots of ladies supping pints of the black stuff. I think of it has a winter drink. I have to be a lager lout these days and drink cans of Carlsber. Did I mention I can only get Newcastle Brown in Tralee. If they stop selling Heinz beans it will be the end of my world.😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Four steaks for 7.99?? I looked at sirloin steaks here last weekend, they had some in packs of two steaks, most were over $21 and the cheapest pack with the smallest steaks was $17.85, I didn't buy any though I know I will need to soon. my body craves red meat and shows me by hetting too tired too often in spite of eating eggs and taking iron supplements. Maybe I am part vampire?
    Anyway, maybe the steak sauce is just made by the Guinness company and doesn't have actual beer in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beef and steak are my favourite meats River. Good point about the Guinness sauce.

    ReplyDelete

More Carboot Plant Selling And I Bought Two Plants.

  Some of my shrubs and perennials and bric-a-brac and tomato plants and we also took books and pictures and two double glazed windows which...