Monday 1 April 2024

Homemade Slug Pubs.


 Takeaway plastic trays filled with cheap undrinkable lager.  "Is it organic?"   

You can substitute cordial or fizzy drinks instead of alcohol if you wish.  

I just used the unwanted Elcheapo  cans of Victorian radiators water or even beer hiding in the cupboard which no-one was ever going to drink.

I filled six of the trays (pubs)  yesterday and placed near my lettuce plants and other tender vegetables.

We (" me") want to get away from slug pellets and any other  man-made chemicals near our vegetables.  

We will give old sludgy or 🐌 snails a good drink and no more lace pattern brassicas and lettuces.

Wish I could afford to go for a pint or seven.  They put the price of Guinness up another ten Cents last week.  It's over 5 Euros fifty for a pint of the black stuff and ten Euros in some Dublin pubs.  The last time I was in a pub was in Tenerife in December.  How much is a pint of beer where you live? 

I suppose we could go around the veg plot and polytunnel at night with a torch 🔦 and a bucket 🪣 and collect any nasties like slugs and 🐌?  The hens and ducks would like them for a midnight feast but no I prefer to use my slug pubs.

I have heard of people making lime circles around their Brassicas and placing fresh seaweed close by is also said to be very effective against these soil nasties.  Apparently it is the salt in the seawater covered fresh seaweed that deters  these predators.

How do you deal with snails 🐌 and  slugs?

22 comments:

  1. I don't mind picking off snails, which I throw on our garage roof for the birds, but slugs, 'shudders' can't stand them, I shout to hubby he removes them to the same spot as the snails. My wildlife pond is finished in my veg garden so hopefully I will have a frog at some point to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marlene. The wildlife pond should attract beneficial arden creatures like frogs. I wish I could attract hedgehogs to get the slugs and snails. The slug pubs seem to be working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That feckin' Saint Patrick! Instead of driving all the snakes out of Ireland, he should have driven out all the slugs and snails! In the past I experimented with beer traps but I did not find them to be very effective. By the way, did Owd Patrick drive them out in a 4x4?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slug pubs are a good way of reputrposing plastic takeaway trays YP. What did St Patrick say when he drove the snakes out of Ireland? "Are ye alright in the back lads?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Yeah, we're fine!" they hissed.

      Delete
    2. They may never have come back but I have returned to ask about the Irish band The Baby Snakes?

      Delete
    3. I don't know how but I have never heard of them. I see ex Thin Lizzy member Brian Downey featured on one of their LPs. I saw Thin Lizzy in 1981.

      Delete
    4. Were they buying black pudding from Bury Market?

      Delete
    5. Could of been. Phil Lynott was a big United fan. His mother came from Clonakilty. That's a famous West Cork black pudding.

      Delete
  5. P drinks the local Odin's brewery's bitter "Rumsaa" which is £3.30 a pint.
    He says it is far too good to feed to the slugs and snails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 3 Euros eighty six JayCee. I was paying 2 Pounds nineteen for a pint of Doombar in a Wetherspoon's in Stroud last August. The slugs would acquire a taste for it like I have for Newcastle Brown Ale.

      Delete
  6. I don't deal with them at all. (One of the advantages of living in a flat!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. True Dawn. I once grew potatoes in a upstairs flat window.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, that last one disappeared. It wasn't snails that did all the damage this winter. Is was the darn caterpillars. My policy there was search and destroy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cabbage Whites can be a problem with the Brassicas Linda. Nets work well and so does caterpillar hunting and feeding them to the hens and ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try and make sure that the ground beetles can get out of the slug pubs..we do need them

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very true. I suppose I could try putting sticks in the trays for them to climb out after their bath.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard that apple vinegar does the same thing...and you can ferment that on your own. Borrowing a phrase from Greenpeace: "Save the ales. Save the ales."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wasn't it: "Save the Whales"? Or maybe: " "Save the Snails?" Fizzy pop also works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not game enough to be putting out bowls of beer, I might get out the next morning and find half my neighbours flat out sleeping it off out there. I deal with snails by throwing them out on the road to get run over by cars.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought I was cruel feeding them to the ducks and hens?😊 That's a wonderful word picture you create about your neighbours sleeping it off River.

    ReplyDelete

More Carboot Plant Selling And I Bought Two Plants.

  Some of my shrubs and perennials and bric-a-brac and tomato plants and we also took books and pictures and two double glazed windows which...