Sunday 28 April 2024

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds ๐Ÿฆ Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday.

So it was all hands on deck and battlestations.  I found an old fishing net and J went looking in the airing cupboard or they say  "hot press"( here in ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช) for some old net curtains.

She came back with a carrier bag full of them and we draped them to cover the vulnerable  plants and raised beds:

Lace net curtains and below old fishing nets.
My ex heating oil tanks are full of brassicas and covered with an old fishing net.  The nets seem to be working fine against bird damage and the net curtains should prevent any cabbage whites laying eggs and caterpillars devouring them.  The nets on the barrels covering the carrots and parsnips seem to be working well.

My kind of vegetables gardening means you do not have to spend much money pursuing your hobby and grub for your tea.  

A very cheap meal on my next post.



14 comments:

  1. Hope you don't get any curtain twitchers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JayCee . I believe they are prevalent in villages. Gossip and nosiness for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Boris Johnson scarecrow will drive away all of your feathered friends and your entire pig population.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably YP. I have an horrible feeling he's going to make a political comeback probably after their tatering on Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Net curtains ๐Ÿ˜ฒ great idea. I've been busy picking up snails from our garden . Dozens of them. They turned out brassicas into lace curtains in the winter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Linda. The slugs and snails ๐ŸŒ s are quite artistic aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The caterpillars find their way past the smallest of holes...make sure you don't have brassicas outside the nets which will harbour the so and sos...

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do GZ. There's even slugs that live underground. We call them " The Flickers".๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  9. My one and only big piece of net curtain comes out at picnics and barbecues to keep flies off the food table or if necessary to keep flies etc off the baby in the pram if there is one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi River. The one thing I hate about summer is the flies. Horrible creatures.

    ReplyDelete

Potting On The Osteospermums Rooted Cuttings.

  I spent an hour or so potting on my Osteospermums new plants t๐Ÿชด that I propagated from cuttings a couple of months of go. Regular readers...